Best to first read my page on Internal chart metrics before this.
Rectifying metrics in the chart of Sir Patrick Moore
We must first familiarize ourselves with the biography of the person whose chart we are contemplating. We need enough information for the person’s life story to unfold clearly so that we will recognize the chart metric upon examination of the factors of the secondary progressed chart.
Here is the chart based on the 10 AM time of birth from his autobiography (screen shot from astrodatabank – click to enlarge in separate tab).Gemini rising personality. He also engaged in an intellectual and communicative career natural to Gemini (astronomy, broadcasting, interviewing, writing, authored over 70 books; an amateur actor, a self-taught musician and accomplished composer). During WWII he served in British intelligence and in the Royal Air Force. All these are perfectly fitting for the mutable air sign Gemini to be on the Ascendant.
No dates are given for the deaths of his parents with no other web searches turning up the dates. So those normally useful events are probably useless in this effort. (Father Capt. Charles Trachsel Caldwell-Moore MC died in 1947. Mother, artist and author Gertrude Moore died in 1981.)
What is very useful is a potential metric seen with natal Neptune-Rx semi-square Moon.
Here is the aspectarian for the 10 AM natal chart:
Click to enlarge.
With the time scale slowing down by 360x in the progressed chart, this aspect could be important in timing major life events of a combined Lunar-Neptunian nature. That is because Neptune is a slow moving outer planet and is applying towards aspect culmination to a faster moving Moon, which can help determine accuracy and adjustments in the natal chart.
Neptune’s rate of movement puts its culmination of semi-square to natal Moon near/in adulthood where decisions are made and events were more likely to be recorded. What’s more, Neptune turns direct later and makes a second pass over the exact semi-square. It is the only planet that offers the chance at an internal chart metric as all other outer planets are separating or too far from exact aspects.
Neptune in 4th house semi-square Moon in 5th house timed exact or nearly exactly would result in adverse experiences related to home (4th house and Lunar principle), health, infections, fluid-related problems, etc, that disrupt romance/creativity/entertainment (Moon in 5th house).
Progressed Neptune’s first culmination of semi-square natal Moon.
It was during the war years (July 1942 – Sept 1945) that he met Lorna, a nurse. The pair fell deeply in love and became engaged. But three years after they met, she was killed in London in a German air-raid (1945?). (from: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2245616/Sir-Patrick-Moore-Stargazing-eccentric-forgave-Germans-killing-woman-loved.html) Progressed Neptune was within 0°04′ of exact semi-square to natal Moon of the 10:00 AM / 13° Gemini natal chart from late 1942 through the rest of the war period.
Some have questioned Sir Patrick Moore’s story about this mysterious woman he says died during the war leaving him heartbroken. I do not.
Sir Patrick Moore’s life events
Precisely dated life events for Sir Patrick Moore
- Moore presented the first episode of the TV show he hosted until his death, The Sky at Night on 24 April 1957 at 10:30 pm.
- A highlight of the series in 1959 was when the Russians allowed Moore to be the first Westerner to see the photographic results of the Luna 3 probe, and to show them live on air. The Luna 3 camera took 29 pictures over 40 minutes on 7 October 1959, from 03:30 UT to 04:10 UT.
- Hosted Panorama – 5 January 1959 & 20 April 1959.
- January 1998, a tornado destroyed part of Moore’s garden observatory; it was subsequently rebuilt.We know it was on the 7th of that month because it was recorded in the book Physical Geography and People found on Google Books.
- Moore presented every monthly episode of The Sky at Night, except in July 2004 when he suffered a near-fatal bout of food poisoning caused by eating a contaminated goose egg and was replaced for that episode by Chris Lintott. We know that episode was broadcast on the night of the 4th from this BBC News article, so we can time his food poisoning to an approximation of the previous day, 3 July 2004. This is an important event since it can help test the Asc (head/body) and possibly other fast-moving parts of his chart like the Moon, even the 6th (body, nutrition) and 12th houses (hospitals, medical) since he was certainly hospitalized given the life-threatening nature of the illness.
- 7 March 2006 he was hospitalised and fitted with a pacemaker because of a cardiac abnormality.
- 1 April 2007, a 50th anniversary semi-spoof edition of the programme was broadcast on BBC One, with Moore depicted as a Time Lord and featured special guests, amateur astronomers Jon Culshaw (impersonating Moore presenting the first The Sky at Night) and Brian May.
- 6 May 2007, a special edition of The Sky at Night was broadcast on BBC One, to commemorate the programme’s 50th anniversary, with a party in Moore’s garden at Selsey, attended by amateur and professional astronomers.
- Moore celebrated the record-breaking 700th episode of The Sky at Night at his home in Sussex on 6 March 2011. He presented with the help of special guests Professor Brian Cox, Jon Culshaw and Lord Rees, the Astronomer Royal.
- He died aged 89 at 12:25 p.m. on 9 December 2012 at his home in Selsey, West Sussex.
Life events dated to the month:
- Enlisted in the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve in December 1941 at age 18.
- Called up for service until July 1942 as an Aircraftman, 2nd Class.
- Returned to England in June 1944, he was commissioned as a Pilot officer.
- He was finally demobilized in October 1945 with the rank of Flying officer.
- In June 1968 he returned to England, settling in Selsey after resigning his post in Armagh (planetarium).
- In February 2011, Moore completed (with Robin Rees and Iain Nicolson) his comprehensive Patrick Moore’s Data Book of Astronomy for Cambridge University Press.
- It was reported in January 2012 that because of arthritis and the effects of an old spinal injury he was no longer able to operate a telescope.
The rectification of Sir Patrick Moore’s birth chart with illustration of internal chart metrics:
How likely is it Moore’s chart should be timed for the exact minute at the top of the hour? If we consider the time correct within 15 minutes of clock time (9:45 – 10:15 AM), there is one chance in 30. Those are long odds.
Let’s go back to that food poisoning event.
This occurred within days of the episode of The Sky at Night that he missed due to this illness. That episode was on Sunday 4 July 2004.
Progressing the 10 AM/13 Gemini chart to 3 July 2004 we see progressed Neptune at 15°36′ Leo, very near culmination to semi-square natal Moon 0LIB37.
Because Neptune represents toxicity, poisons, etc, and Moon the stomach, this progression very much fits the event.
Knowing that these progressed aspects reach their active peak when they are within about 0°04′ of exact aspect, I have strong evidence the correct Asc lies in this area of mid-Gemini. A natal Moon position for him in the range of 0°32-40′ Libra equates to 10-16° Gemini on the natal Asc (9:52-10:06 AM). If we consider the odds of a 10:00 AM chart again within this context, it is narrowed to 1 in 14, still long odds.
Two nights before the missed show Progressed Moon was at 5N00 exactly contra-parallel natal Saturn 5S00. That is pretty good confirmation that the progressed Moon originated from a pretty accurate natal place, but longitudinal rotation helps narrow it down better.
Look at Jupiter’s progressed position at 11°44′ Scorpio-Rx.
From Jupiter’s place in the 6th house it speaks of physical health matters due to possible over-extending himself or over-indulgence, and its aspect would be a quincunx to Asc. Using a similar orb of +/- 0°04′ it strongly suggests that the correct area for the natal Asc is 11°40-48′ Gemini.
Do we have confirmation? Yes, in the declination transits.
Look at the transit positions of that day. Saturn is 22N12 exactly parallel the Asc if it is set at 11°37-47′ Gemini. However, Jupiter’s progression specifies it more: 11°40-47′ Gemini.
Saturn’s transit to the Asc is very fitting for a serious physical event, particularly a near fatal physical illness. It signifies a potential stop/delay in the normal communication patterns of the Gemini rising activities. That is exactly what happened, since he missed hosting the show and had to recover in hospital.
So from one event using the progressed culmination of the natal semi-square aspect of Moon and Neptune, we can narrow down the viable area. So let’s set this chart for 9:54 = 11GEM46 and use another event to check it. Let’s take a look at the transits for 7 January 1998 when the tornado destroyed part of his garden observatory.
Uranus was in transit closely opposite the Undersky (IC)/4th house cusp of chart we are using. That point – the 4th cusp – most represents ‘home’. Pluto also transited closely sextile that point. I used a number of life events to validate this chart for Sir Patrick Moore. If you are a determined student you can do it too in your own time.